Health Ministry denies that Steward Healthcare is leaving Gozo
|Email item||Print item||
The Ministry of Health, in a statement, has said that it “categorically denies that Steward Healthcare is leaving either Gozo, or Malta.”
The Ministry was referring to comments made in Parliament on Wednesday by the Opposition Spokesperson on Gozo Affairs Chris Said, that there had been reports of Steward Healthcare leaving Gozo.
Regarding the further remarks made by MP Chris Said on the hospital helicopter service in Gozo, when in Parliament he said that internal hospital documents were “proof of an attempt by the authorities to cover-up the death of a heart patient, due to the fact that no helicopter was available to transfer him to Mater Dei,” the Deputy Prime Minister said that “his office had already published the conclusions and recommendations of the independent inquiry conducted by Professor Joe Cacciattolo.”
The Ministry stated that “the inquiry says in black and white that – “The procedures followed were in line With normal established practice and protocols. No Difficulties were encountered during the transfer of the patient from GGH to MDH. The patient was only transferred to MDH once the attending physician considered that it was safe to do so. The air ambulance helicopter was available whens a decision was taken that the patient needed transfer to MDH. ”
“Dr Said was even presented with the inquiry in its entirety to explain in detail the sequence of events. and he is being politically dishonest to ignore the outcome of the inquiry,” the Ministry said.
Photograph by Anthony Zammit