Official launch of this weekend’s International Food Festival in Xewkija
|Email item||Print item||
The Minister for Gozo Dr Justyne Caruana has launched this year’s Malta International Food Festival – Gozo Edition.
The festival will be heading back to Xewkija for the second time, following last year’s success when the event attracted more than 6,000 people to enjoy a night of food and fun.
The square in Xewkija will host the two-day festival, on Friday, the 10th and Saturday, the 11th of August, both evenings starting at 6.00pm.
Dr Caruana explained that the Ministry, together with the organisers have enhanced this year’s edition which will be held over two days, encouraging many people to visit during the weekend before the Feast of the Assumption.
The many food stands will be selling a host of culinary delicacies from all over the world, including Indian, American, Dutch, Italian and of course Maltese.
Brewery stands and special wines will also be available for a tasting experience, all accompanied by a special set of live musicians.
There will also by an overwhelming choice of sweets and home-made ice creams, to name just a few, will satisfy dessert lovers.
The organisers said that “it’s a free street food festival with a focus on inclusivity set in a typical Gozitan environment. Taste the authentic Asian cuisines, the fresh Mediterranean delights, best of Europe and genuine Gozitan delicacies,”
The Xewkija Mayor Paul Azzopardi thanked the Ministry for Gozo and the organisers of the food festival for believing that the locality of Xewkija could host a festival of this dimension.
Mr Azzopardi wished success for this year’s edition and encouraged everyone to attend.
Entrance to the food festival is free of charge -the organisers said that patrons will have to purchase tokens and redeem in any food they desire.
Malta Public Transport and other operators will be offering a shuttle service from the Mgarr Ferry Terminal to the Xewkija Square through route 323.