Should clocks continue to go forward by one hour for summertime?

Should clocks continue to go forward by one hour for summertime?Maybe you think that we should continue to move clocks forward by one hour marking the beginning of summertime. However, the European Commission has decided to launch a public consultation to assess whether or not it should be changed, so now is the opportunity to have your say.

The Commission said this is being carried out following a number of requests from citizens, as well as the European Parliament and certain EU Member States.

It has therefore decided to investigate the functioning of the current arrangements.

Back in February this year, MEPs called for a thorough assessment of current biannual time change and, if necessary, a revision of the rules.

According to the MEPs citizens’ initiatives have shown that the public is actually concerned about the biannual clock change marking the beginning and end of summertime, and takes place the last weekend in March and October.

They said that, numerous studies have failed to reach a conclusive outcome, “but indicate negative effects on human health.”

The Commission explained that the current summer-time arrangements directive, which entered into force in 2001, provides a harmonised date and time for the beginning and end of the summer-time period across the EU, with the aim of helping the internal market to function effectively.

The Public Consultation is available in all EU languages online here, together with full information. Citizens and stakeholders have until the 16th of August to reply.

• Permalink: Should clocks continue to go forward by one hour for summertime?

You may also like...

1. just an expat says:

in the UK in the late ’60s there was an experiment and we did not change the clocks at then end of October – so it was dark – more or less – until 9am – there were more road accidents as a consequence and the experiment was never repeated – what does that tell you? It seems to me how we do it now works so why change it? OK I know I am a dinosaur but there are so many other things more worth worrying about – plastic pollution for example………..

2. Nigel Baker says:

You said it – you’re a dinosaur. The late sixties was fifty years ago when road safety was in its infancy. Anyway, we’ve just lost the semi-final so I’m not interested.

3. just an expat says:

BTW sorry about your loss.

• anthony zammit says:

Thank you Nigel for your question/comment. I did not know that Road Safty in Malta and Gozo is in it’s infancy. What the $%^#@* are you doing here?

4. anthony zammit says:

I used to agree with the change of the hour but now I changed my mind. The hour creates a big problem for patients who are bound to take medicine on a precise time, people who are hooked up at the hospital with various machines which run on precise a timely setup. Then there are the flights. Many connections are lost because nowadays people buy flights from the internet and they do not calculate the change forward or backwards of the country they are stopping to catch another flight. I am sure that all hospital employees and all the thousands who have any connection with airports and flights would vote against changing of time. p.s. where do I vote? Is there a voting poll?

5. just an expat says:

Anthony there is a questionnaire – look at the article and click on the link. regarding flights – the times quoted when booking are local times so I cannot see that there is a problem. Take your point about medication but surely one hour makes very little difference to anybody taking regular meds – nobody takes their tablets by alarm clock do they? even in the hospital drug dispensing varies greatly day to day.

6. Nigel Baker says:

To ‘just an expat’. Please accept my apologies for my rather brusque message the other day. I was in a bit of a bad mood but that doesn’t excuse my rudeness!

7. Nigel Baker says:

Dear Anthony. If you read my message again, I think you’ll find I didn’t mention Malta or Gozo at all. I was merely replying to ‘just an expat’ who was referring to the late sixties in the UK.

• anthony zammit says:

You are right Nigel I made a mistake. It was the Mr. dinosaur “OK Nigel – “road safety in it’s infancy” you say – that would be like Malta and Gozo today then?’ I read Nigel in his answer.

8. just an expat says:

Dear Nigel,
      Thank you for your apology – I appreciate the gesture and do understand how important football is to some people. As for Mr Zammit and the road safety issue surely we all know how awful the driving is in Malta and Gozo – it’s every man for himself and whoever heard of the Highway Code?? Message boards optimistically encouraging drivers to “Obey roundabout rules” are just a joke. But then of course I am a dinosaur.

• anthony zammit says:

Driving in Gozo (at least) is not awful. It is different and one cannot bring his country’s Highway Code and apply it to any other country he dominates. If you want to put Message boards they will draw the driver’s attention to the board and cause more accidents. You have no right to say Gozitan driving is not safe by comparing it to wherever you came from. In Malta, I do not know because I do not go there, but I feel very safe in Gozo because at least we car for each other, give way to others and keep distances in jams. Many are working very hard to bring tourists to Gozo and one can read that for the 4th year the Maltese Islands have been voted as one of the safest countries to live in. As for students, I have read the following ‘ If you decide to study with us in Malta, you’ll live and work in a wonderful Mediterranean location. From prehistoric temples to world-class scuba diving facilities and watersports, clear blue seas and white sandy beaches, festivals and football, there’s plenty to see and do here. Malta is a welcoming and safe country, full of variety. Living here will be an unforgettable experience.” Safe Country: Safe also on the roads. Even dinosaurs have to appreciate our main income which is tourism and publicly implying that our driving is far from safe (when it is not!) is an act of terrorism.

9. just an expat says:

Well Anthony I have to disagree with you regarding the quality of the driving standards in Gozo. I will make no further comment on this as it has obviously truly ruffled your feathers. However the message boards I refer to do exist – there is one on the roundabout where the Mgarr Road meets the Qala Road and yes – I quite agree with you that it is a distraction and could easily be the cause of an accident. The one enjoining drivers to obey the rules used to be in Malta on the Kappara roundabout but I do not know if it is still there as like you I only go to Malta if I have to. I feel very safe in general living in Gozo and I mostly agree with your comments re the wonderful things that Gozo has to offer but take your blinkers off – please!