Update: PA orders immediate removal of dumped material at Marsalforn Bay
|Email item||Print item||
Update with Ministry for Gozo statement below: The Planning Authority has ordered the immediate removal of dumped material at Marsalforn Bay earlier this afternoon.
In a statement the Authority said that it has ordered the “sub-contractors engaged by the Ministry for Gozo, to immediately remove all the material that was dumped into the sea at Marsalforn Bay.”
It added the PA enforcement officers went straight on site as soon as it was notified about the infringement.
The Authority went on to say that “workers started removing the dumped material – as shown above – upon the orders of the enforcement officers.”
The site will be monitored by the PA until it is “satisfied that all the dumped material has been removed and the site is returned to its original state.
Ministry for Gozo statement issued Friday:
The Ministry for Gozo in a statement, has referred to the video shown on social media and some media of the material being disposed of in Marsalforn Bay.
It said that “the process in question involves sand, pebbles and other materials washed up from the sea during the winter season.”
“This material was being returned to the beach according to approved methods as set out by the Environment & Resources Authority and the work can only be carried out when the weather conditions are favourable,” the Ministry said.
The Ministry pointed out that this work is done each year after the necessary permits have been issued..
The Ministry for Gozo said that it is collaborating with the competent authorities to ensure that there is no environmental impact in the area.
Photograph by the Planning Authority