Gozo celebrates 150 years of the Citadel as a non-active fortress
|Email item||Print item||
The sun shone down brightly on today’s event to commemorate 150 years of the Citadel as a non-active fortress.
It was on the 1st of April 1868 that the Citadel changed from military use as an active fortress, to one of civilian, transferring to Civil Government.
Saturday’s educational and cultural activities were organised by the Ministry for Gozo. filled. A seminar at the Citadel Arts Centre, provided expert information fortification of the city, its history and discoveries made during th recent restoration.
During the seminar, the Minister for Gozo Dr Justyne Caruana said, “we salute the excellent work carried in the restoration of the Cittadella, but we need to take on a stronger commitment for its conservation, which is even more challenging.”
She added that, “learning from the past, re-using for the present and conserving for the future is a chronological process that involves, not only a high flair of creativity on our part, but also a diligent programme of educational and formative events that highlight all aspects and features of attractiveness that such a majestic relic can potentially convey to our own and future generations.”
There were reenactments of the daily life of this flourishing community within the old city. Visitors also had the opportunity to visit Heritage Malta sites for free.
The Visitors Centre housed an exhibition of architectural plans, which were on show for the first time, giving an insight to the military prospective of this ancient site.
Photographs by Alain Salvary