1350 signatures on Public Domain consultation: Closes 11th August
|Email item||Print item||
There’s still time to help protect 24 of Gozo and Malta’s most beautiful places. The Planning Authority has launched a public consultation on 24 sites which have been suggested by Friends of the Earth Malta and Flimkien ghal Ambjent Ahjar, to be included in the list of public domain sites.
Friends of the Earth Malta and Flimkien ghal Ambjent Ahjar, in a joint statement, said that they have submitted 23 applications for various sites across Gozo and Malta and over 1350 people have already submitted their representation to the Planning Authority.
They added that “supporting these sites inclusion in the public domain means that these vast stretches of land and sites of historic heritage that contribute to the public’s well-being will be provided a further layer of protection to ensure they are not only maintained and preserved today, but safeguarded for generations to come.”
The deadline is the 11th of August 2017, following which these proposals will then be forwarded with recommendations in an Annual Report to the Minister for Lands, to be considered by Parliament.
Friends of the Earth Malta and FAA pointed out that private property rights are not affected by the law, but owners may have to prove and clarify land ownership. “This should hopefully clarify false claims of ownership and situations where public land was blocked abusively,” they said.
The NGOs are encouraging citizens to send submissions to the Planning Authority using the simple form which can be found at: www.foemalta.org/pd
Full list of sites proposed below:
3. Site at Hondoq, Qala (2016-3),
15. Cittadella, Victoria, Gozo (2016-15),
16. Site at Ta Cenc, Sannat (2016-16) and
14. Comino (2016-14),
23. Comino (2016-23) repeated,
1. Site at Manoel Island (2016-1),
2. Site at Wied Garnaw (2016-2),
4. Site at Kalanka, Delimara (2016-4),
5. Site of three historic landmark trees, Ta’ Xbiex (2016-5),
6. Site of beaches from St.George’s Bay to Sliema (2016-6),
7. Sites at Valletta coastline and Fort St. Elmo (2016-7),
8. Sites from St. Thomas Bay (Marsascala) to Xrobb l-Ghagin (Marsaxlokk) (2016-8),
9. Sites from Siggiewi to Zurrieq (2016-9),
10. Sites: Pinetum beyond Floriana fortification walls and Argotti, St Philip’s and Sa Maison Public Gardens (2016-10),
11. Stretch of land from Gnejna to Mtahleb (2016-11),
12. Villa Guardamangia, Pieta (2016-12),
13. Site at Simblija (2016-13),
17. Site at Has-Saptan and Wied Zembaq (2016-17),
18. Site at Is-Simblija (including Wied ir-Rum, Ta’ Baldu and Wied Hazrun) (2016-18),
19. Site at Il-Ballut tal-Wardija (2016-19),
20. Site at il-Ballut tal-Imgiebah (l/o Mellieha) (2016-20),
21. Site at Ras ir-Raheb and Qlejgha (2016-21),
22. Site at Fomm ir-Rih (2016-22),
24. Nwadar National Park (2017-1).