Exhibition by Italian artist and sculptor, Carlo Pisi opened in Victoria
|Email item||Print item||
An art exhibition by the Italian artist and sculptor, Carlo Pisi (1897-1979) has opened at the Banca Giuratale, Independence Square, Victoria, Gozo.
The Italian sculptor and decorator Carlo Pisi inspired a number of local church patrons and his works are found in prominent church places. His artistic oeuvre draws on the classical aesthetic.
The monument, at Independence Square – known also as Christ the King Monument – is a 1949 work of Carlo Pisi and was unveiled by H.M. Queen Elizabeth II on the 7th of May 1954.
In St. George’s Basilica, Victoria, Pisi made a new main altar from white Carrara marble, and he modelled the bronze baldacchino that adorns it on the design of Bernini‘s in St.Peter‘s, Rome, though on a smaller scale.
Photographs: MGOZ/George Scerri