Why not promote the `Maltese Islands’ and not just `Visit Malta?’

Why not promote the `Maltese Islands' and not just `Visit Malta?'Readers Letter – “I receive a lot of promotional material to visit Malta and I see it printed in many ‘invitations’ to Visit Malta or ‘Enjoy Malta.’ All this is well but many countries who are seeking tourists present their Islands (where there are Islands) as a group. ‘Canary Islands’ ‘Caribbean Islands’ ‘Thousand Islands’ ‘Greek Islands’ and so on.

‘The Maltese Islands’ used to be mentioned more than now. I hardly see an ad in the main heading ‘Come visit The Maltese Islands’ Some scholars use the world Archipelago or when Gozo is mentioned they add ‘Malta’s sister Island!’

I would like that ‘The Maltese Islands’ would be presented to the tourist as is, three beautiful Islands and not ‘Come to Malta’ and then surprise… there are two other Islands as an added surprise.”

Anthony Zammit,

Gozo.

Photograph by Alain Salvary

• Permalink: Why not promote the `Maltese Islands’ and not just `Visit Malta?’

1. Dietmar Treptow says:

I agree ! ( but there are 4 islands )

2. anthony zammit says:

Dear Dietmar, I was aiming at Tourism. Filfla is off bounds for tourists and one does not mention Cominotto because it is Comino small……. Anyway, I think that mostly I hear the mention of the Maltese Islands in history books, especially during the war.

• Charles v Vella says:

Mr. Zammit: May I ask why Filfla is out of bounds for tourists ?

• anthony zammit says:

Mr Vella, As far as I know Filfla is protected and no one is permitted to climb on it. Well, sure tourists can look at it from Dingli Cliffs and other spots but, yes I believe it is off-limits to go on it. Not only Filfla itself but the waters surrounding it for Marine life. Since 1988 the access to the island has been strictly prohibited to not to disturb birds and their nests and to protect the natural wildlife on the islet. Fishing is also prohibited within a mile around the island due to the possibility of encountering unexploded ordnance. For visiting the island now you need permission and only researchers and scientists can enter. Visitors must get permission from the Ministry for the Environment.
        The project “Marine Scientific Surveys around Filfla for its Conservation” was financed from the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), which is one of the EU’s Structural Funds, under the Single Programming Document 2004 – 2006 programme.Correct me if I am wrong.

3. mario says:

the main islanders don’t like that,i remember the gozo channel they want it named

4. Charles v Vella says:

@Mr. Zammit. Having spent time in the RAF, I knew that Filfla was a target practice and that’s probably why it’s out of bounds, and most probably some or many of the unexploded ordinance are still on the little island and around it. The prohibition excess to the island turned out to be a blessing for the wildlife and marine life. God works in mysterious ways. I’m not in tune of what’s going in Malta especially the conservation projects. It is good to know that someone has taken the initiative to conserve the environment. Thank you.