Blessing and pilgrimage for Our Lady of Comino statue
|Email item||Print item||
The Minister for Gozo Anton Refalo was present at the blessing of the newly restored statue of Our Lady of Comino on Saturday evening, as part of the celebrations for Festa ta' Kemmuna held at the weekend and which was attended by 3,500 people.This ceremony was held in Mgarr harbour on Saturday evening before it began its pilgrimage to Comino accompanied by several boats. There its was welcomed on Saint Mary's quay by the St Joseph Band of Ghajnsielem.The band then accompanied the statue in a procession from Santa Mary's quay to the church, where a solemn Mass was celebrated outside.
The 1948 statue of St Mary, is by artist Wistin Camilleri, and was donated by Captain Charles Vassallo.
The statue has just undergone a detailed restoration by Gozitan artist Manuel Farrugia from Victoria and funded by the Ministry for Gozo.