Concert held for the 325th anniversary of Ta’ Sannat Parish
|Email item||Print item||
A vocal and instrumental Band Concert with the Banda Santa Margerita, under Musical Director Mro George Apap took place this week, in collaboration with Ta’ Sannat Local Council, to commemorate the 325th anniversary from the foundation of Ta’ Sannat Parish 1688-2013.
The concert was held under the patronage of the Minister for Gozo, Dr Anton Refalo.
Ta’ Sannat is celebrating the Feast of St Margaret this week and at the end of the concert the statue of Saint Margaret, work by Aaron Camilleri Cauchi, was blessed by Mgr Lawrence Sciberra, the Spiritual Director of the Society.
It was one of the first places in Gozo to become a separate parish. The parish was established by Davide Cocco-Palmeri on 28 April 1688. The building of the present parish church dedicated to St Margaret Martyr was begun on the site of a smaller church in 1718, but it underwent several structural changes in the 1860s.
The present church was initiated on the site of a smaller one in 1718 and was consecrated on 16 October 1755. However, after the significant structural changes, it was consecrated again on 22 November 1868. It was raised to the Archipresbyteral status on 27 December 1893