‘Celebration Day 2012’ activities at Sannat Primary School
|Email item||Print item||
‘Celebration Day 2012’ was recently held at the Gozo College Sanat Primary School.
The event was attended by the Minister for Gozo, Giovanna Debono, who also distributed prizes to the children.
The first Primary School at Sannat opened its doors in the year 1873. Primarily it was a house located in Saguna Street in the area known as the Upper Square. The Government had purchased this house and transformed it into a school. Its first headmaster was Peter Paul Zerafa. Approximately 85 children attended the school until around 1891.
The number of pupils continued to increase and in 1905, the then Government had to rent a bigger house in Main Street to accommodate the ever growing number of pupils. However on October 10, 1942 the school suffered considerable damage during WWII bombing raids.
In the meantime the Colonial Government was working on the New Modern Schools Programme. On March 13, 1964, the present school at Sannat Road, was officially opened by the Minister of Education Dr Antonio Paris and blessed by His Lordship Monsignor Giuseppe Pace, Bishop of Gozo. It now comprises the Primary and Kindergarten Sector as well as the Special Unit.