MEPA approves the re-instatement of gunner’s quarters
|Email item||Print item||
Earlier today the Malta and Environment and Planning Authority Board gave the green light, to Heritage NGO Fondazzjoni Wirt Artna, to re-construct the original master gunner’s quarters and restore the entrance to the saluting battery, in Valletta.
Located just below the Upper Barrakka Gardens, the re-construction of the master gunner’s quarters, which will be built on the same footprint of the existing restaurant, will accommodate site administration office, sanitary facilities, a small workshop for the on-going maintenance of the saluting guns and exhibition space for the Battery.
The re-construction of the Master Gunner’s Quarters and the entrance point which will control access to the Saluting Battery will be an exact replica and based upon the original plans and drawings as built by the British in 1860.
The original building formed an integral part of the saluting battery complex during the colonial perio since it was the quarters of the Master Gunner who manned the battery. The structure was demolished by enemy action during the Second World War and was partially reconstructed in the 1950s to be used as Admiralty Police accommodation, however this was completely demolished in the1960s, when the site was decommissioned as a military site.