Apostolic Nuncio makes a pastoral visit to the Gozo Diocese
|Email item||Print item||
Mgr Caputo held a prayer meeting and met with priests in the morning at the Good Shepherd Centre in Victoria. He then visited the Gozo Hospital in the afternoon.
In the evening Archbishop Caputo led a Solemn High Mass at the Victoria Cathedral where he was assisted by Mgr Mario Grech, Bishop of Gozo and Bishop Emertius Mgr Nikol Cauchi, the Cathedral Chapter, and numerous other parish priests and priests from around the Gozo diocese.
Msgr. Tommaso Caputo was born in Afragola, near Naples, Italy on October17, 1950. He frequented the Bishop’s Seminary at Capodimonte (Naples) and obtained a Licentiate in Sacred Theology at the Facoltà Teologica dell’Italia Meridionale, Naples.
Msgr. Caputo was ordained priest on April 11, 1974 for the Archdiocese of Naples, where he worked in the Minor Seminary (1973-72), as assistant parish priest at the Parrocchia di San Benedetto all’Arco Mirelli in Napoli (1974-76), and as a teacher of religion in state schools (1973-76).
An alumnus of the Pontifical Ecclesiastical Academy from October 1976, he obtained a Doctorate in Canon Law at the Pontifical Lateran University, Rome.
Mgr. Caputo joined the Diplomatic Service of the Holy See on March 25, 1980 where he occupied various posts at the Apostolic Nunciature in Rwanda (1980-1984), the Apostolic Nunciature in the Philippines (1984-87), at the Apostolic Nunciature in Venezuela (1987-89), and at the Secretary of State (1989-93). On June 19, 1993 he was nominated Head of Protocol in the Secretary of State. On September 3, 2007 Pope Benedict XVI appointed Msgr. Caputo as apostolic nuncio to Malta and Libya. On September 29, 2007 Benedict XVI conferred episcopal ordination upon Msgr. Tommaso Caputo together with five other Prelates with the title of (Titular) Archbishop of Otriculum.
Besides his native Italian, Msgr. Caputo speaks French, English and Spanish.
Mgr. Tommaso Caputo succeeds Mgr. Felix del Blanco Prieto who had been Malta’s Apostolic Nuncio since 2003.