Xaghra Plague Hospital and Cemetery – Wirt Ghawdex
|Email item||Print item||
Wirt Ghawdex would like to draw the attention of the authorities to a forgotten historic site at Xaghra, Gozo, which although not in a severe dilapidated state, is unfortunately neglected and currently used for the rearing of farm animals.
This site, consisting of a hospital and an adjacent cemetery, is a landmark site for Gozo, because it marks an important period in Gozo’s history.
In 1813, a devastating plague hit Malta and eventually Gozo. In Gozo, this started from Xaghra. For this reason, a farm on the south of this village was turned into a temporary emergency hospital and a field nearby was chosen to bury the dead in it, to remove the need for transport that could spread the illness further.
The official proclamation that the plague had ended came on the 8th of September, the day Xaghra celebrates its village ‘festa’, and this confirms the importance of this site to Xaghra and the island of Gozo.
Wirt Ghawdex urges the authorities to take action for the preservation and restoration of this important historic site.